Forts of West Virginia ~ 1915 

This is given, principally, for the purpose of aiding to a better understanding of what is to follow in future pages. At the same time, the simple description of the forts themselves may be of interest to some of our readers.

Names, Locations, and Date of Establishment of Forts in West Virginia

Fort Arbuckle
A small stockade fort erected by Capt. Mathew Arbuckle, at the mouth of Mill Creek, a stream falling into Muddy Creek four miles from its mouth, in Blue Sulphur District, Greenbrier County.

Fort Ashby
A stockade. It stood on the east bank of Patterson's Creek on the site of the present village of Alaska, formerly Frankfort, in Frankfort District, Mineral County. Erected by Lieutenant John Bacon, under orders from Colonel Washington, in 1755.

Fort Baker
Sometimes referred to as "Baker's Station," and sometimes mentioned as Fort Cresap. It was erected in 1732, and stood at the head of Cresap's Bottom, in Meade District, Marshall County. Built by John Baker and his neighbors. It was a stockade fort, with block houses joined by palisades.

Fort Baldwin
This was a blockhouse which stood on the site of the present village of Blacksville, in Clay District, Monongalia County. It was the most western fort in that county. "The valley of Dunkard's Creek, in which it was located, was the scene of many a barbarian incident of the border wars."

Fort Beeler
Fort Beeler was a stockade fort which stood upon the site of the present town of Cameron, in Cameron District, Marshall County. It was erected by Colonel Joseph Beeler, who had secured title to a large tract of land in this vicinity. It was known as "Beeler's Station." Colonel Beeler represented to the national authorities that, because of the almost constant presence of Indians about the "Station," it was impossible for him to defend it longer, and in 1781 a garrison of 53 men under Capt. Jeremiah Long was stationed there. This made it possible for white men to hold possession of the region round about.

Fort Belleville
This was a strong fort. It stood on the site of the present village of Belleville, in Harris District, Wood County. It was erected in the autumn of the year 1785 and spring of 1786, by Captain Joseph Wood and ten men hired in Pittsburgh as laborers for the year. The first building was 20 x 40 feet, two stories high, with port holes in the walls for musketry. The four block-houses were erected to include this building, at the corners of an oblong square, between which were erected several small cabins, the whole connected by palisades ten feet high, so as to make a regular stockaded fort 100 x 300 feet, sufficient to accommodate from 100 to 150 persons. At each end were strong gates for the admission of cattle. On the river side was a small gate, or sally-port, through which the inmates passed in getting water or in going to and from their canoes. Five or six cabins stood on the river bank just below the fort, but these were abandoned in times of threatened hostilities. Several of the tragedies and dramas of Indian warfare were enacted around the walls of this fort and on the hills in its vicinity.

Fort Beech Bottom
This was a small stockade fort which stood on the east bank of the Ohio River, twelve miles above Wheeling, in Buffalo District, Brooke County.

Fort Bowling
This was a small fort in the Pan Handle above Wheeling, its exact location not being ascertained, but doubtless known locally.

Fort Buckhannon
A small fort situated near the site of the present town of Buckhannon, in Upshur County. Erected prior to the year 1781.

Fort Burris
This was a small fort located on the "Flats," on the east side of the Monongahela River, in Morgan District, Monongalia County. Its exact location not known.

Fort Bush
Fort Bush was situated on the west side of Buckhannon River, a short distance above the mouth of Turkey Run, in Upshur County. The first settler on the spot was John Hacker, who came here in 1769. The Indians were very troublesome in this neighborhood, as will be shown elsewhere.

Fort Butler
This was a small fort which stood at the mouth of Roaring Creek, on the east side of Cheat River, in Portland District, Preston County. Erected about the year 1774.

Fort Buttermilk
A stockade. Situated on the South Branch of the Potomac, about three miles above the present town of Moorefield, in South Fork District, Hardy County. Erected by Captain Thomas Waggener under orders from Colonel Washington in 1756.

Fort Capon
A small stockade fort. Stood at the "Forks of Capon" in the Great Cacapon Valley, in Bloomery District, Hampshire County. Erected prior to 1757.

Fort Chapman
This was a blockhouse erected by the Chapmans-George and William-who came to the vicinity of New Cumberland, Hancock County, in 1784-85.

Fort Clark
This was a small stockade consisting of four cabins placed close together, and protected by a palisade wall ten feet high. It was situated on Pleasant Hill, in Union District, Marshall County. - Its builder and defender was Henry Clark, who came here in 1771. (See "Indian Massacres").

Fort Cobun
A small stockade fort erected by Jonathan Cobun in 1779, near Dorsey's Knob, on Cobun's Creek, in Morgan District, Monongalia County. An historical spot.

Fort Cook
This fort, a strong one, was situated on Indian Creek, three miles from its mouth, in Red Sulphur District, Monroe County. It was an oblong structure with cabins joined by palisades and block-houses at the corners, and covered one and one half acres of ground. Indian massacres in this vicinity.

Fort Coon
This was a small fort, situated on the West Fork River, in Harrison County.

Fort Cooper
Fort Cooper was a block-house, erected by Leonard Cooper in 1792. It stood on the north bank of the Great Kanawha River, eight miles from its mouth, in what is now Cooper District, Mason County.

Fort Cox
A stockade. Situated on the lower point of land on the Potomac at the mouth of Little Cacapon River. Erected prior to 1750. Here "George Washington, on April 25th, 1750, surveyed a tract of 240 acres of land for Friend Cox." Friend Cox was therefore, probably, the builder of the fort.

Fort Culbertson
This was a stockade fort erected in 1774 by Captain (afterwards General) James Robertson, of Tennessee, acting under orders from William Preston, County Lieutenant of old Fincastle County. It stood on the site of the settlements made by Andrew Culbertson in 1753, in Culbertson's Bottom, now Crump's Bottom, on New River, in Pipestem District, Summers County.

Fort Currence
A small fort situated one-half mile east of the present site of the village of Crickard, in Huttonsville District, Randolph County. It was erected in 1774 by the joint labors of neighboring settlers for mutual protection. It has been called "Fort Casino" by some writers.

Fort Dinwiddie
This was a fort of considerable size, situated on the present site of the village of Stewartstown, in Union District, Monongalia County. Its proprietor appears to have been Jacob Rogers, and for this reason the fort was sometimes called Fort Rogers, or Rogers's Fort.

Fort Donnally
This fort was situated near the present town of Frankford, ten miles north of Lewisburg, in Falling Spring District, Greenbrier County. It was erected by Colonel Andrew Donnally in 1771, while the locality was still in Botetourt County. It has an interesting history.

Fort Eckley
A small fort situated on the Little Levels in Academy District, Pocahontas County. It was erected about the year 1772. It was sometimes later called Fort Day.

Fort Edgington
This fort was situated near the mouth of Harmon's Creek, nearly opposite Steubenville, Ohio, in Cross Creek District, Brooke County, West Virginia.

Fort Edwards
A stockade, situated on or near the site of the present village of Capon Bridge, in Bloomery District. Hampshire County. On November 11, 1749, George Washington surveyed for David Edwards at Capon Bridge, 412 acres of land, and in the following spring surveyed 400 acres, adjoining David Edwards, for Thomas Edwards, and also another tract, adjoining David and Thomas, for Joseph Edwards. It will therefore be seen that the fort was probably built in or about 1749, by the Shepherds.

Fort Edwards
This was a small fort situated five miles south of Boothesville, in Boothe's Creek District, Taylor County.

Fort Flinn
This was a small stockade fort situated on the bank of the Ohio River on the upper point at the mouth of Lee Creek, in Harris District, Wood County. It occupied a site in what was known to the first settlers as the "Indian Clearing," a tract of about twenty acres. It was erected in 1785 by a band of adventurers from the vicinity of Wheeling, but originally from the Valley of the Susquehanna River. Thomas and Jacob Flinn, brothers, aided by Jacob and John Parchment and John Barnett, were the builders. It was sometimes spoken of as "Flinn's Station." Hither came the settlers who were afterwards among the founders of the town that grew up around the walls of Fort Belleville, a short distance below, one of them being Malcom Coleman, who was killed by the Indians on Mill Creek, in Jackson County.

Fort Evans
A stockade fort, situated two miles south of Martinsburg, in Arden District, Berkeley County. Erected by John Evans in 1755-1756.

Fort Friend
This fort was erected by Jonas Friend at Maxwell's Ferry, on Leading Creek, in Leadville District. Randolph County. Indians visited this vicinity in 1781 and nearly destroyed the whole settlement.

Fort Furman
A stockade, situated on the South Branch of the Potomac, about one mile above Hanging Rock, and three miles north of Romney, in Springfield District, Hampshire County. Erected at the beginning of the French and Indian War, by William Furman.

Fort George
A small stockade, located on the east bank of the South Branch of the Potomac nearly opposite the present town of Petersburg, in Milroy District, Grant County. Erected about the year 1754, presumably by Jacob Welton and his brothers.

Fort Hadden
This was a strong fort on the point of high ground on, the west side of Tygart's Valley River, at the mouth of Elkwater Creek, in Huttonsville District, Randolph County.

Fort Harbert
This was a block-house, situated on Tenmile Creek, in Harrison County.

Fort Harrison
This was a stockade fort situated on the west side of the Monongahela River, at the source of Crooked Run, in Cass District, Monongalia County. It was erected by Richard Harrison, who came from Eastern Virginia. It consisted of a two story, hewed log-house, 20x30 feet, with a large yard enclosed by a wall of strong palisades. Within this yard was a well, and just outside was a spring. The former has been filled, but the latter flows on just as it did when the fort hard by was the scene of Indian hostilities.

Fort Hedges
A small stockade fort on the west side of Back Creek, on the road now leading from Martinsburg to Berkeley Springs, in Hedges District, Berkeley County.

Fort Henry (Formerly Fort Fincastle)
This fortress was situated on the high bluff on Main Street, Wheeling, and was erected in 1774, and called Fort Fincastle, in honor of Lord Dunmore, one of whose titles of dignity was that of Viscount Fincastle. It was a small structure at first, but was enlarged in 1777 and the name changed to Fort Henry in honor of Patrick Henry. As thus changed it was a parallelogram, having its greatest length along the river, the stockade being formed of square palisades of white oak, closely fitted, together, and about seventeen feet high. This was supported by bastions, with port holes for rifles and musketry above and below, and sentry boxes at the corners; it was thus well adapted for resisting a savage force, however powerful. It enclosed about half an acre of ground. Within this space was the commandant's house, a two-story structure and a store house of one story in the center (both very strong), with barracks for the garrison; during this year a well was dug and several cabins and families were arranged along the western wall.

Fort Holliday
This fort was situated on the site of the present town of Holliday's Cove, in Butler District, Hancock County. It was erected in 1776 and greatly strengthened the next year. At that time Patrick Henry, then Governor of Virginia, sent to Colonel Andrew Swearingen a quantity of ammunition, which was stored here. At the time of the first siege of Fort Henry (1777) runners hastened to Fort Holliday for aid. Then it was that Colonel Swearingen, with fourteen men, departed for the beleaguered fort, and ere the siege was raised all arrived and rendered efficient aid.

Fort Hopewell
This was situated on the South Branch of the Potomac, the exact location is not known. Erected some time before the year 1754.

Fort Jackson
This fort was situated on Tenmile Creek in Sardis District, Harrison County, and was a rendezvous for the settlers and their families in that neighborhood. It was erected in the year 1774. In the valley of this creek were enacted some of the horrible scenes of the border war.

Fort Kelly
A fort known in border annals as "Kelly's Station." It was situated on the site of the present town of Cedar Grove, on the right bank of the Great Kanawha River, twenty miles above Charleston, at the mouth of Kelly's Creek, in Cabin District, Kanawha County. It was built by Captain William Morris, who came to the spot in 1774. It derived its name from Walter Kelly, who was killed at that place in 1772. It was long a prominent place, being the shipping point for the people who crossed the mountains in the early settlement of the Great Kanawha Valley and of the State of Kentucky. For many years after the fort fell into decay the place was known as the "Boat Yards."

Fort Kerns
This was a stockade fort. It was situated on the east side of the Monongahela River, on the high land just across the mouth of Decker's Creek, in Morgan District, Monongalia County. It was one of the largest forts in that region, and for many years the gathering place for the families of the Monongahela in times of danger. Its builder and defender was Michael Kerns, a native of Holland, who wedded Susan Weatherhold, of Westmoreland County, Pa., and came to the site of Morgantown in 1772. He erected the first mill in Monongalia County, and was long the proprietor of a boat yard at the mouth of Decker's Creek, now Morgantown.

Fort Lee
This fort, named in honor of Governor Lee of Virginia, was situated on the site of the present city of Charleston, the capital of the State. It was erected in the summer of 1788 by half of a company of Rangers from Greenbrier County sent to protect the inhabitants of the Great Kanawha Valley from ' the incursions of Indians. George Clendenin, who was County Lieutenant of Greenbrier County at the time, and who directed the work of construction, writing Governor Edmund Randolph under date of June 9, 1788, said: "We built a very strong fort and finding it impossible to keep the place with the few men that were in service, I thought it expedient to order the remainder of the Ranging Company into service." Within the next seven years much interesting frontier history was made there. June 11, 1793, Col. John Steele, United States Inspector of Western Defenses, inspected Captain Hugh Caperton's Company of Greenbrier Rangers stationed at Fort Lee.

Fort Liberty
This fort was a block-house situated on the site of the present town of West Liberty, in West Liberty District, Ohio County. This was the first seat of justice of that county, and for this reason this block-house is frequently referred to by early writers as the "Court House Fort."

Fort Link
This block-house was erected by Jonathan Link in 1780. It was located on Middle Wheeling Creek, near the present town of Triadelphia, in district of that name, in Ohio County.

Fort Maidstone
This was a stockade fort, situated on the bluff on the lower point at the mouth of Great Cacapon River, now in Bath District, Morgan County. No record of name of builder. Supposed to have been erected prior to 1756, as Washington's papers referred to this fort in that year.

Fort Martin (New Martinsville)
This was a block-house. It was erected some time prior to 1780, on the site of the present town of New Martinsville, the county seat of Wetzel County. The fort stood on the bank of the Ohio River, about where the residence of Charles W. Barrick is now located, and a short distance north of the M. E. Church. It does not appear to have been regularly garrisoned, but rather used as an abode for its builder, a Mr. Martin.

Fort Martin (Monongalia County)
This fort was situated on the west side of the Monongahela River, on Crooked Run, in Cass District, Monongalia County. It was erected about the year 1773 by Charles Martin, who came from Eastern Virginia. In June, 1779, while most of the men were at work in the fields, a lot of Indians attacked the fort, killing James Stewart, James Smalley and Peter Crouse, and took John Shriver and his wife, two sons of Stewart, two sons of Smalley and a son of Crouse prisoners and carried them into captivity. This Charles Martin was great-grandfather of Hon. S. R. Martin, who now (1913) resides in New Martinsville, West Virginia. His first wife was a daughter of Lord Fairfax. In 1768 he was granted four hundred acres of land in Monongalia County. The above mentioned fort was located on this farm.

Fort Martin (Marshall County)
This was a stockade on the Ohio River, at the mouth of Fish Creek, in Franklin District, Marshall County. It was erected by Presley Martin sometime prior to 1793.

Fort McKenzie
This fort was located on the South Branch of the Potomac. Exact place of location not known. Probably erected by Captain Robert McKenzie some time prior to the year 1757.

Fort Minear
This fort was situated on the east side of Cheat River, 011 the site of the present town of St. George, in St. George District, Tucker County. It was built by John Minear in 1776, assisted by a body of emigrants who accompanied him here and who afterwards became the founders of St. George.

Fort Morgan
This was a small stockade fort erected about 1772. It was situated on the site of the present town of Morgantown, Monongalia County.

Fort Morris (Preston County)
An early fort, a stockade, enclosing a number of houses or cabins on a small tract of land, about one acre, on Hog Run, a branch or tributary of Sandy Creek, now in Grant District, Preston County. It was built by Richard Morris in 1774.

Fort Morris (Kanawha County)
This was a stockade fort standing on the south bank of the Great Kanawha River, opposite the mouth of Campbell's Creek, now in Louden District, Kanawha County. It was erected by Captain John Morris in 1774. The Captain was a brother of Colonel William Morris, who commanded Fort Kelly, fifteen miles further up the river.

Fort Neal
This was sometimes called "Neal's Station." It was located on the upper point at the mouth of a small run, on the south bank of the Little Kanawha River, one mile from its mouth, and nearly opposite Parkersburg. The people in this vicinity suffered a great deal at the hands of the Indians, as will be related elsewhere.

Fort Neally
Fort Neally was a small stockade fort on Opequon River, now in Opequon District, Berkeley County. Erected prior to 1756, as the fort was attacked by Indians in that year. Name of builder not known.

Fort Nutter
This was a stockade fort situated on the east bank of Elk Creek, now within the corporate limits of Clarksburg, Harrison County. Its builders and defenders were Thomas, John, Matthew and Christopher Nutter, brothers, who came to this vicinity in 1772. It afforded protection to the inhabitants on the West Fork of the Monongahela from its source to its confluence with the Tygart's Valley River, at what is now Fairmont; and to those who lived on Buckhannon River and Hacker's Creek, as well as to those of the immediate locality. When the Hacker's Creek settlement was broken up by the savages in 1779 the settlers who escaped took refuge in this fort, where they aided in resisting the foe and in maintaining possession of the country. There were many tragedies and dramas enacted in this vicinity, some of which we will relate in a future chapter.

Fort Ohio
A stockade fort, was erected by Job Pearsall on the present site of Romney, in Hampshire County. Probably erected prior to 1754, as it is recorded that "Major Washington spent the night at this fort on April 19, 1754."

Fort Pawpaw
This was a small fort situated on Pawpaw Creek, in Marion County, Captain John Evans, of the Rangers, was located here for a while, and was later transferred to Fort Henry at Wheeling.

Fort Peterson
A small stockade fort, situated on the South Branch of the Potomac, two miles above the mouth of the North Branch, in Milroy District, Grant County. Erected about 1756. Erected by order of Governor Dinwiddie.

Fort Pierpoint
This fort was erected in 1769 by John Pierpoint. It was located in what is now Union District, in Monongalia County, about __ miles from Morgantown and one mile from Easton.

Fort Pleasant
A strong structure, having cabins, palisades, and blockhouses. It was erected by Thomas Waggener, under orders of Colonel Washington, in 1756, on the "Indian Old Fields" about a mile and a half above the "Trough" on the South Branch of the Potomac, in Moorefield District, Hardy County. One of the block houses was still standing in 1830. It was sometimes called Fort Van Meter, and at other times was known as "Town Fort." Round about, this fort were the scenes of many Indian depredations.

Fort Powers
Was situated on Simpson's Creek, in Harrison County. It is supposed to have been erected by John Powers in 1771. We shall hear more of this fort in future chapters.

Fort Prickett
This was a stockade fort erected in 1774. It was situated at the mouth of Prickett's Creek, on the east side of the Monongalia River, five miles below Fairmont, Marion County. In early years of the Revolution it afforded protection to z' the settlers in that part of the Monongahela Valley. Read the interesting story of David Morgan's adventure with the Indians in the vicinity of this fort.

Fort Randolph
A fort was located on the site of the present town of Point Pleasant, Mason County. It was erected immediately following the great battle at that point between the whites, led by Lewis, and the reds, led by Cornstalk. Here the one hundred and forty wounded Virginians stayed until they were able to return to their homes. The stockade was afterwards found to be too frail for practical use in such an exposed locality, and Captain Russell, in November, 1774, built a larger and better structure, which the builder named Fort Blair. It stood on the apex of the upper angle formed by the confluence of the Great Kanawha and Ohio Rivers. This fort appears to have been destroyed within less than two years after its completion. Captain Arbuckle came down from Pittsburgh, accompanied by Virginia forces, in May, 1776, and erected, on the site of Fort Blair, a large stockade with block houses and cabins. It was named Fort Randolph in honor of Peyton Randolph,' a member of the Continental Congress, who had died the year before. On the 8th of January, 1777, the Continental Congress passed an act authorizing the Governor of Virginia to garrison this fort with a company of one hundred men, commanded by "one captain, two lieutenants, one ensign, and the usual number of inferior non-commissioned officers," for the protection of the western frontier of Virginia against Indian incursion, the Continental government to defray the expense. "April 9th ensuing it was resolved that the men enlisted to garrison Fort Randolph should not be called for any service without their consent. Captain Arbuckle continued in command throughout the year 1777, and was, therefore, there when the barbarous murder of Cornstalk, the Shawnee chief, occurred. He risked his life to prevent it, but without avail." Captain Arbuckle was succeeded in command here by Captain William McKee, of Rockbridge County, at the close of the year. Early the following year (1778) Lieutenant Moore and several of his men lost their lives in an Indian ambuscade near the fort. Again in May of the same year a large body of Indians laid siege to the fort and it was under fire for a week, after which the siege was raised and the Indians departed, driving away with all the cattle from the fort. The life of Fort Randolph, like its predecessors, was of short duration, for it appears to have been destroyed (probably by the Indians) shortly after its abandonment in 1779. About 1785 another fort was erected at Point Pleasant. "It was on the Ohio River bank, fifty rods from where its predecessors, Fort Blair and Fort Randolph, had stood."

Fort Rice (Brooke County)
This was a rectangular stockade having a block-house at one of its corners and several cabins within the enclosure. It was situated on Buffalo Creek, by the course of the stream twelve or fifteen miles from its mouth, near where Bethany College now stands, in Brooke County. It was erected by Abraham and Daniel Rice, and it afforded protection to twelve families in times of hostilities. In September, 1782, a desperate attack was made upon it by one hundred Indians, who were dispatched to attack it after the siege of Fort Henry had been raised. This action at Fort Rice is among the most remarkable of the border wars. The reds attempted to storm the fort, and while there were but six people in the fort, they killed three Indians and wounded others the first fire. The siege lasted twelve hours, then the Indians departed. George Felebaum was killed in the beginning of the battle; the other five members of the heroic band in the fort were unhurt. They were Jacob Miller, George Lefler, Peter Fullenweider, Daniel Rice and Jacob Lefler, Jr.

Fort Richards
A strong fort on the west bank of the West Fork River, in the vicinity of the mouth of Sycamore Creek, now in Union District, Harrison County. Here Jacob Richards was granted 400 acres of land in 1771. He, with the assistance of Arnold, Paul, Isaac, and Conrad Richards, his relatives, erected and occupied this fort, within whose walls many of the pioneers and their families found refuge in time of danger.

Fort Riddle
This was a small stockade fort on Lost River, in Lost River District, Hardy County. Near it a fierce and bloody battle was fought between a body of fifty Indians and a company of Virginia frontiersmen under Capt. Jeremiah Smith.

Fort Robinson
A block-house. It stood opposite the foot of Six Mile Island in the Ohio River, now in Robinson District, Mason County. It was built by Capt. Isaac Robinson in 1794. Mr. Robinson, when a small boy, had been captured by the Indians, with whom he lived for twelve years.

Fort Savannah
This fort was situated on the Big Levels, on the site of the present town of Lewisburg, in Greenbrier County. Probably built by Capt. Andrew Lewis in 1755.

Fort Sellers
A small stockade on the east side of Patterson's Creek at the mouth thereof, in Franklin District, Mineral County. "Here George Washington surveyed lands for Elias Sellers, April 1, 1748." This fort was erected by Colonel Washington.

Fort Seybert
A strong fort having cabins, palisades, and block houses. It stood on the South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac, twelve miles northeast of Franklin, in Bethel District, Pendleton County. Indians attacked this fort in April, 1758, killing many of the occupants, after their surrender.

Fort Shepherd
This was a strong stockade fort erected in 1755, and situated at the Forks of Wheeling Creek, now in Triadelphia District, Ohio County. It was erected by David Shepherd, afterwards county lieutenant of that county. This fort was destroyed by Indians after its evacuation by the whites in September, 1777, and was rebuilt in 1786, and four years later it was re-constructed. "This time the palisade walls were built of sycamore plank three inches thick, twelve feet long, the ends fitted in rabbeted posts, one plank resting upon another. There were bastions at the corners and port holes along the walls."

Fort Statler
A stockade fort, situated on Dunkard Creek, now in Clay District, Monongalia County. It was erected about 1770 by John Statler (sometimes called Stradler). This fort, like many others in West Virginia at that period, was the scene of bloody tragedies.

Fort Stewart
This was a block-house erected in 1773 by John Stewart. It stood on a ridge between two small ravines, on Stewart's Run, about one mile from its source and two miles from Georgetown, in Monongalia County.

Fort Stuart
This fort was erected by Capt. John Stuart about 1769. It was situated in what is now Fort Spring District, Greenbrier County, near Fort Spring Depot, on Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. He and a gentleman by the name of Robert McClennahan came to this' place from the Shenandoah Valley in 1769, and both commanded companies of Greenbrier men in General Lewis's army in Dunmore's War. McClennahan was killed in the battle at Point Pleasant. October 10, 1774. The first court in Greenbrier County was held in this fort, and John Stuart was its clerk.

Fort Tackett
This was a small stockade. It was situated on the Great Kanawha River, one-half mile below the mouth of Coal River. Kanawha County. It was built by Lewis Tackett, who was supposed to have been the first settler between the mouth of the Elk and the Ohio Rivers. It was erected sometime previous to the year 1788. It was destroyed by the Indians January 5th, 1788, at which time and place Chris. Tackett was killed, John McElheny and wife, with Betsey Tackett, Samuel Tackett and a small boy were taken prisoners. John Young and wife escaped.

Fort Tomlinson
This was a stockade fort. It was situated just north of the present Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station, on the east side of that road, in what is now the City of Moundsville. Its builder was Joseph Tomlinson, great-grandfather of Judge Charles Newman, of Wheeling, W. Va. The writer is informed that a descendent of Tomlinson's now occupies a building on the site of the old fort, which, by the way, is located within fifty yards of the late residence of Judge Newman. Tomlinson and a party of his neighbors came to the Grave Creek Flats, now Moundsville, in 1770. Two years later he brought his family from Maryland and commenced laying the foundation for the present beautiful city. The fort was erected in the spring of 1773. In 1777 the inmates, on learning of the approach of the Indians that had besieged Fort Henry, evacuated this fort and hastened to Wheeling. Joseph Tomlinson took his family to the mouth of Pike's Run, on the Monongahela River, where they remained until 1784. On their return to Moundsville in that year, they found Fort Tomlinson a heap of ashes, having been burned' by the Indians. It was rebuilt and thereafter served as a place of refuge until the Indian wars were ended. Some interesting episodes that occurred in and about this place will be related in another chapter.

Fort Upper Tract
A stockade fort, erected under directions of Col. Washington, in 1756. It stood a short distance west of the South Branch of the Potomac at what is now known as "Upper Tract," in Mill Run District, Pendleton County.

Fort Van Meter
This was a stockade fort,' situated on the north side of Short Creek, about five miles from its confluence with the Ohio River, in Ohio County. It was erected in 1774, at the beginning of Dunmore's War. During many consecutive summers the inhabitants found refuge within its walls. It is said that the first court of Ohio County was held in this fort. It was commanded by Maj. Samuel McCullough until his death by the Indians on the 30th of July, 1782, while he and his brother John were reconnoitering to ascertain if Indians were near. His brother escaped to the fort. This fort was the scene of much trouble with the savages.

Fort Warden
Fort Warden was a small stockade fort in the vicinity of the present town of Wardensville, in Capon District, Hardy County. Erected by William Warden prior to 1749. The builder and a Mr. Taff were murdered by the Indians, and the fort burnt, in 1758.

Fort Warwick
Fort Warwick was a small fort situated in what is now Huttonsville District, Randolph County. It was erected by James Warwick and was among the early places of defense in Tygart's Valley. Near it resided John White, who was killed at Point Pleasant, and his brother William, whose death is connected with one of the tragedies enacted near Fort Buckhannon.

Fort Wells
Fort Wells was a small stockade fort erected in the spring of 1773 by Richard Wells. It stood on the dividing ridge between the waters of Cross Creek and Harmon's Creek, in Brooke County. Its commandant was a Quaker, and in consequence of his kindness to the Indians, they never molested him or his people. It was unfortunate for our forefathers as well as for the Indians that the former were not all Quakers.

Fort West
The settlement on Hacker's Creek, as stated elsewhere, was one of the earliest west of the Alleghanies. John and Thomas Hacker and Alexander West, with several others, came here in 1770 and settled on the banks of that stream, in what is now Lewis County. They erected a fort on West's land. Perhaps there was not another settlement in the State that suffered more from Indian depredations than did this one. The savages were especially bad during the years of 1778 and 1779, and the people were forced to seek safety in flight when Fort West was burned by the Indians. A few of the inhabitants returned to their lands in 1780, and constructed another fort a short distance from the one that had been destroyed, and they named it Beech Fort, because of its timbers being all beech logs. The Indians afterwards returned, but the people "held the fort", and no more abandoned their settlement.

Fort Westfall (Randolph County)
This was a stockade within which was a large house. It stood one-fourth mile south of where Beverly now stands. It was erected by Jacob Westfall in 1774. The Indians caused some trouble in this vicinity.

Fort Wetzel
Fort Wetzel was a stockade fort situated on Wheeling Creek, now in Sand Hill District, Marshall County. The builders and defenders were John Wetzel and his five sons, Martin, Lewis, Jacob, George and John, the most noted Indian fighters that ever dwelt on the West Virginia frontier. Stories of their adventures with the Indians and some of their personal history will be found in this book.

Fort Williams
This was a stockade fort, situated on the South Branch of the Potomac, two miles below Hanging Rock, in Springfield District, Hampshire County.

Fort Wilson
This fort was situated one-half mile above the mouth of Chenoweth's Creek, about four miles north of Beverly, on the east side of Tygart's Valley River, Randolph County. Its builder and defender was Benjamin Wilson. He has contributed considerable information concerning the early history of the region in which he resided. There were twenty-two families in his fort in May, 1782.

Fort Woods
A stockade fort. It was erected about 1773 by Capt. Michael Woods, and is situated on Rich Creek, four miles east of Peterstown, in Monroe County. The Captain on May 29, 1774, furnished Col. William Preston with a roll of men fit for military duty in the region in which his fort was located. This list has been preserved and is a highly interesting document, these men being West Virginia pioneers of that time. Much history was made in this vicinity. September 3, 1774, Maj. William Christian, with his battalion of Fincastle County men from the Holston and Watauga settlements, on the march to join Colonel Lewis's army at Camp Union, encamped within a few miles of Fort Woods, to which he sent eight hundred pounds of flour for the use of the men assembled there. Captain Woods, with fourteen volunteers from this fort, joined the company of Capt. James Roberson of Christian's battalion, and with it was in the thickest of the fight at Point Pleasant. In 1781, Captain Wood mustered a number of men for service with Gen. George Rogers Clark in Illinois, and they were ready to march thither at the time of the Indian incursion on Indian Creek, in March of that year. They pursued the Indians, killing some of them and recovered the white prisoners, among them being the Meeks family from the mouth of Indian Creek. These men, destined for the Illinois expedition, were commanded by a Lieutenant Woods presumably a son of Capt. Michael Woods." The greater part of the foregoing information in this chapter was taken from "West Virginia Archives and History", published in 1906.

West Virginia AHGP

Source: Myers' History of West Virginia, Volume II, by S. Meyers, 1915.

 

Please Come back Soon!!

 

Back to AHGP

This page was last updated Tuesday, 16-Jun-2015 10:52:10 EDT

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.


Hosted Free